Every move is different, moving house can seems like a daunting task, with so much going on before your house move, it’s easy to panic and overlook things plan ahead with our moving checklist.
Our moving home planner will help you organize your move effectively. Countdown to the date of your house move with a list of tasks that can be completed from a month in advance of your moving date right up to the house removal day itself. Use the moving home planner in combination with our moving house checklist for optimum organization!
2-4 weeks before moving
- Make sure relatives and friends have the date and address of the move.
- Mail – Have the post office forward your mail to your new address. At least seven days’ notice is required for redirection.
- Telephone – If you are moving within a calling area you need to let your provider know that you wish to take the number with you, for mobiles notify the provider.
- TV Licence- Telephone go online to notify of your new address.
- Driving Licence – Notify DVLA – you need a form from the post office or go online.
- V5 (vehicle log book)- Fill in the change of address on the form and mail to DVLA at Swansea or go online.
- Home and car insurance – Your policy information needs your correct details for premium calculations, you may be due a refund even.
- Schools- Notify your present school admin depts. that you are moving and your future schools of your arrival date.
- Hire purchase and loan companies – Notify the provider concerned of the move.
- Credit cards and standing orders – Notify your bank and card company of your new address and this will help protect your financial details.
- Council Tax – Contact the councils at old and new areas of the arrival and departure date.
- Legal – Notify your solicitor of your new personal address.
- Window cleaner – let him know what date you are leaving.
- Milk man- Let him know the last date for delivery and settle the account.
- Mail and online order companies – notify them of your new delivery address and the date you will be there.
1-2 weeks before moving
- Life Insurance & Pensions – Notify your policy provider or agent of your new address and moving dates.
- State pension – the Post Office or DSS can arrange notification of transfer or go online.
- National Insurance/DSS – Your local office needs to know where you are moving to, quote your national insurance number in correspondence.
- Optician – Ask for the results of your latest eye tests and copies of the prescription and then you will have them for your new optician.
- Doctors & Dentists – Find details in advance of local services in case of emergency.
- Vet – Register with a new vets practice and have your pet records such as vaccination cards up to date for your new vet.
- Bank – Notify your bank branch that your are moving and of the change of address. Your account will then be moved.
- Premium Bonds – Ensure you are notified of wins (you can also check online) by completing a change of address form, the post office will have the relevant forms and you can phone for these.
- National Savings Certificates – Post office have the relevant forms.
- Police – If you are subject to immigration or other controls let you local police station know.
- Newsagent – Cancel papers from the departure date, settle outstanding bills and find a new local supplier.
- Coalman/Gardener – Settle bills and find new suppliers in your new locality.
7 Days before moving
- Gas/Electricity/Water Meters should be read on the morning of the removal and results noted and notified.
- Sky/Cable TV require 7 days’ notice.
- Let your local garage know you are moving if they send you promotional literature.
- AA/RAC– Transfer your policy to your new address.
- Child benefit– Contact your local office a week before your move to arrange a transfer.
- Blood Donors – provide new address details.
- Library – Return any books and find new a library to join in the new area.
- Items On Loan – Return any items or books to friends or neighbours.
- Dry Cleaning – Collect items.
Removal Company – Inform them of any problems or issues, that may affect the move