Removals to UAE and other overseas destinations are more complicated than moving house within the UK due to the Customs & Excise regulations applied to importing your belongings. Below is a guide to current Customs & Excise regulations. Please note that information correct at time of publishing but may change at any time you are advise to contact relevant embassy Custom & Excise regulations prior to your overseas move.
United Arab Emirates Customs Information.
All used household goods and personal effects are usually treated as duty free, but are subject to you obtaining and producing a Residence Permit. All new household goods are subject to duty, which is determined by the customs officials. Your shipment will arrive within one month of your arrival and you must be present for your goods to be granted customs clearance. Most shipments will be subject to a physical inspection. You may be asked to provide sales receipts, invoices or insurance papers for dutiable items to ascertain your ownership of the goods, period of ownership or their value. All cartons containing books, CDs, videos, DVDs and magazines must be clearly marked so they can be identified easily by customs.
We will require the following documentation to clear your goods through customs in UAE.
- Passport (two clear copies)
- Residence permit (or letter from sponsor indicating Visa has been applied for)
- Detailed inventory (original and two copies) – our removal team will produce this at the time of packing
Restrictions / Prior Authorisation Required.
- All political and religious literature needs prior approval from the Ministry.
- Plants and plant material require a Health Certificate.
- Medication and foodstuff (subject to special approval and inspection by the Ministry of Health and must be packed separately)
- Flammable or corrosive items
- Exposed film or other valuables, stamp or coin collections of high value
- Garden implements, outdoor furniture, golf clubs, tents, camping equipment barbeques, shoes, bicycles, prams need to be cleaned thoroughly and be free of dirt, soil, grass food ETC..
Prohibited Items to UAE/DUBAI
- Firearms, weapons and ammunition (real or ornamental)
- Military uniform or equipment
- Narcotics of all kinds including poppy seeds, flowers & leaves
- Banned drugs and medicines
- Transmitters, radios or communication equipment
- Any items made out of ivory or related to endangered animals
- All items manufactured by Israeli blacklist and of Israeli origin
- Erotic statues/figurines, idols, made of any metal/clay/glass etc defined offensive to Islamic teachings and principles
- Pornographic, political and religious material which may be deemed offensive
- Pork meat
- All printed matter, books, pictures, records, films, tapes, slides, movies, videos, CDs, computer software etc are subject to censorship and confiscation (must be packed separately for easy access and clearly marked on the inventory)
Importing Cars and Motor Vehicles
Used motor vehicles can be imported but are subject to duty (provided you hold a United Arab Emirates Residence Visa). You will need to provide the following documentation:
- Registration documents
- Title or deed
- Copy of purchase invoice
- Certificate or origin
- Copy of passport
- Insurance policy
- Proof of ownership
- Residence permit Please note that cars with tinted glass may not be imported
Pets can be imported into the UAE. You will need to obtain a health certificate, which we will forward onto the destination agents a few weeks prior to the arrival of your pet. The agents will then take the certificate to The Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries who will issue an import licence. The original import license and heath certificate is attached to the Air Waybill that accompanies your pet
Useful Information FOR Dubai – UAE
Electricity The electricity supply in Dubai is 220/240 volts and 50 cycles. Socket type is identical to the three point British system. Adaptors can be purchased at any grocery or hardware shop.
Internet For connection to the World Wide Web, Emirates Internet & Multimedia is the sole provider of Internet services through its UAE proxy server. Access to some sites is restricted. You can access Emirates Internet from any standard telephone line using a 56K modem.
Post There is no house address based mailing system in the UAE. All post is delivered to the central post office and then distributed to centrally located post office boxes. It is also possible to rent a personal PO Box in the UAE.
Time GMT + 4 hours Dialling +971 Removals to UAE